I have a Canon MP830 USB printer hooked up to my always on workstation at home, and this is shared so that anyone in the house can use it to print. I haven’t had any issues until trying to add the printer in Windows 8. When I tried to add the network printer:
It looks like the printer is being added ok, but then I would be given the dreaded 0x00000002 error:
This is a driver issue. But what I couldn’t quite understand is why. The drivers were all 64 bit, it’s USB … and I’ve added other printers (since I travel around) without problem. The first thing I tried to do is see if I could get the printer to work locally. I plugged the USB cable into the Windows 8 laptop, and it worked right away:
So, the driver is working locally. I tried again to add it as a network printer, thinking maybe it would use the correct driver or somehow missing the correct the driver to use, but it failed again.
The way I solved this was like so … and note, if the printer still won’t work when connected locally, this method won’t help:
Navigate to the Control Panel –> Hardware –> Devices and Printers, and select Add a Printer.
On the dialog that appears, select “The printer that I want isn’t listed” option:
And then “Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings” option:
Add a new local port:
And in the dialog that pops up, enter the network path to the printer (host name, plus the printer share name):
Now you’ll get to specify the driver to use. Windows has already installed driver because I tested the printer locally first, so I can select it right away. Otherwise, you’ll need a driver disk or can attempt to have Windows Update find it for you:
And boom, printer added:
So, why is this problem happening? I received the same error on two different machines. Fortunately because this was easily solved, I didn’t spend much time diving in. But if I had to guess, I suspect the Win8 machine asks the server for a compatible driver, and an error occurs trying to negotiate. Using this method essentially allows us to manually select the driver.
Jim and I are nearly done with the @home with Azure series, but we wanted to document some of the biggest issues we see every week. As we go through the online workshop, many users are deploying an Azure application for the first time after installing the tools and SDK. In some cases, attendees are installing the tools and SDK in the beginning of the workshop. When installing the tools and SDK, it’s important to make sure all the prerequisites are installed (available on the download page). The biggest roadblock is typically IIS7 – which basically rules out Windows XP and similar pre-IIS7 operating systems. IIS7 also needs to be installed (by default, it isn’t), which can be verified by going into the control panels / programs and features. The first time you hit F5 on an Azure project, development storage and the development fabric are initialized, so this is typically the second hurdle to cross. Development storage relies on SQL Server to house the data for the local development storage simulation. If you have SQL Express installed, this should just work out of the box. If you have SQL Server Standard (or other edition), or a non-default instance of SQL Server, you’ll likely receive an error to the effect of, “unable to initialize development storage.” The Azure SDK includes a tool called DSINIT that can be used to configure development storage for these cases. Using the DSINIT tool, you can configure development storage to use a default or named instance of SQL Server. With these steps complete, you should be up and running!
Ever get a dialog box like this when opening a project? This can occur under a number of scenarios – for example, opening a solution on a network share. But in this case, the files themselves were tagged while being downloaded (as you can see in the path – it’s on my desktop). If you right click the solution file (or other file in the group), you’ll see the file is tagged as such: The problem is, all files in the group have to be unblocked, and if you’ve got a large project, it can be somewhat of a pain to do that. There are two solutions, then. If you have the original Zip/Rar/whatever archive file, you can unblock that file, and then when the rest are abstracted, you’re good to go. Second, if you can’t do that, you need to remove the block on all of the files in the solution. Sysinternals/Microsoft has a tool to do just that: streams. Streams is a command line tool – you specify a directory and it can remove the streams for you (-d switch). The –r switch will allow it to recurse subdirectories: Next time the project is opened – presto! No warning. Head over to the sysinternals site here.